Monday, September 19, 2005
Headlines..... Tropical Storm Rita gaining muscle
Hurricane warning issued for southern Florida.
It is the 17th named storm of this year's Atlantic hurricane season -- and with water temperatures in the Florida Straits in the high 80s, it has plenty of fuel.
"Additional strengthening is expected, and Rita could become a hurricane during the next 24 hours," the forecast said.
Can't we get a break? I have a feeling people are going to prepare this time. I stopped at Publix this morning to get a banana and there were plenty of people shopping for the hurricane essentials. If I was smart I would have done the same thing. All I really wanted was my banana.
The following is from an article on how to prepare for a hurricane:
Once a watch is issued is the best time for you and your family to evacuate. Remember even if you might have "ridden out" a hurricane in the past this does not necessarily mean that you should plan to do this for another hurricane. It is always better to be safe than to realize halfway through the storm that you should have evacuated. You also need to remember that once the storm is underway that local emergency personnel will not be able to come and rescue you should you find yourself in a dangerous situation. I cannot stress enough that a hurricane is never something to take lightly. After a "watch" a "warning" will be issued when hurricane conditions are expected in your area usually within the next 24 hours.
Putting together your hurricane supplies kit: I have added my opinion on the following, please read.
Making sure this kit is put together at least 48 hours prior to a hurricane and making sure that your kit is complete is most important. Make sure that the following are included in your kit:
*A first aid kit. You can make your own and keep it in a plastic container. My first aid kit includes wine, cheese, crackers, and sleeping pills. If your kit is incomplete you should immediately address it. Everyone's kit is different. I always go to my neigbhors and ask to see their kit. You would be surprised what you will learn about your neighbors. Every kit should have Mad Libs.



*Any medications that you or any other family members need such as heart medications, diabetes medications, and other prescription drugs, contact lenses and all the supplies you might need and if you have a spare pair of eyeglasses you should include them in your kit. In addition, any medications for your children should be included in your kit.
*Canned food and a can opener that does not operate on electricity. I do not like canned food.
*A two week supply of food is best and making sure that you keep in mind any special dietary issues that any family members might have is also important. Some foods you could include in your kit are dried fruits and nuts, crackers, canned pastas such a spaghetti-o's, canned soups, canned fruits, canned fruit juice and canned vegetables, boxes of cereals, peanut butter and jelly, boxes of powdered milk, instant soups, coffee, and hot cocoa, cereal bars, granola bars, pop-tarts, bags of pretzels and popcorn. You can also include pasta that you can boil in water if you have a charcoal grill or camping stove. Hmmm... that list sounds so bad but I imagine if need be it would be really yummy.
* Don't forget about your pets. Make sure that you have enough non-perishable foods for your pets and any medications that they need. Plan to also add extra water to your kit for your pets. Keeping some of their favorite treats in the kit is also a great idea. This will help to calm them and make them feel comfortable.
*Paper plates, bowls, cups, and napkins and plastic utensils.
*Plan on including at least 2 gallons of water per person plus extra for cooking. You also should have a two week supply of water for each family member in your kit. Gees.... I better get some water.
*Extra clothing, raingear and sleeping bags or tents. Okay, why do I need raingear if there is going to be a hurricane? Aren't you supposed to stay indoors in a safe place? Who the hell is going camping in a hurricane, A TENT??
*Battery operated radios, flashlights, and plenty of extra batteries.
Preparing your house for the hurricane
In addition to preparing yourself and family for a hurricane, you will need to take some steps to prepare your house and yard for a hurricane. You should cover all of your windows with plywood rather than tape. The tape will not keep the glass from breaking and it is not the best choice for use in a hurricane. Plywood is a much better choice. During the year, you should make sure to keep an eye on your trees by removing any damaged or dead limbs. By doing this the dead or damaged limbs will not fly around during the storm. Bring indoors any lawn chairs, tables and umbrellas. Do not forget the kid's outdoor toys, lawn decorations, and the trash cans. All of these can be picked up by the wind and be blown around.
Make sure that you also fill your gas tank with gas and that you have taken some cash out of the bank before the storm hits. Once the storm is over the banks and gas stations might not have power for a week or so and if you are able to leave your house you will need to make sure you have enough gas and money to go to another location. Once the hurricane is over you should listen to the local radio stations for information. Preparation and planning is the key to any storm.
According to this article I am basically screwed. I have not done any of the above. Let me take another look so I can confirm that I am screwed. Okay, I just read the article again and all I can say is I hope my neighbors went shopping so I can stop by their homes and take what I need. Don't you think that is a good idea? Who wants to go to Publix and be around a bunch of crazy people fighting for the last can of SPAM? I know I don't.
Headlines..... Tropical Storm Rita gaining muscle
Hurricane warning issued for southern Florida.

It is the 17th named storm of this year's Atlantic hurricane season -- and with water temperatures in the Florida Straits in the high 80s, it has plenty of fuel.
"Additional strengthening is expected, and Rita could become a hurricane during the next 24 hours," the forecast said.
Can't we get a break? I have a feeling people are going to prepare this time. I stopped at Publix this morning to get a banana and there were plenty of people shopping for the hurricane essentials. If I was smart I would have done the same thing. All I really wanted was my banana.
The following is from an article on how to prepare for a hurricane:
Once a watch is issued is the best time for you and your family to evacuate. Remember even if you might have "ridden out" a hurricane in the past this does not necessarily mean that you should plan to do this for another hurricane. It is always better to be safe than to realize halfway through the storm that you should have evacuated. You also need to remember that once the storm is underway that local emergency personnel will not be able to come and rescue you should you find yourself in a dangerous situation. I cannot stress enough that a hurricane is never something to take lightly. After a "watch" a "warning" will be issued when hurricane conditions are expected in your area usually within the next 24 hours.
Putting together your hurricane supplies kit: I have added my opinion on the following, please read.
Making sure this kit is put together at least 48 hours prior to a hurricane and making sure that your kit is complete is most important. Make sure that the following are included in your kit:

*A first aid kit. You can make your own and keep it in a plastic container. My first aid kit includes wine, cheese, crackers, and sleeping pills. If your kit is incomplete you should immediately address it. Everyone's kit is different. I always go to my neigbhors and ask to see their kit. You would be surprised what you will learn about your neighbors. Every kit should have Mad Libs.




*Any medications that you or any other family members need such as heart medications, diabetes medications, and other prescription drugs, contact lenses and all the supplies you might need and if you have a spare pair of eyeglasses you should include them in your kit. In addition, any medications for your children should be included in your kit.
*Canned food and a can opener that does not operate on electricity. I do not like canned food.
*A two week supply of food is best and making sure that you keep in mind any special dietary issues that any family members might have is also important. Some foods you could include in your kit are dried fruits and nuts, crackers, canned pastas such a spaghetti-o's, canned soups, canned fruits, canned fruit juice and canned vegetables, boxes of cereals, peanut butter and jelly, boxes of powdered milk, instant soups, coffee, and hot cocoa, cereal bars, granola bars, pop-tarts, bags of pretzels and popcorn. You can also include pasta that you can boil in water if you have a charcoal grill or camping stove. Hmmm... that list sounds so bad but I imagine if need be it would be really yummy.
* Don't forget about your pets. Make sure that you have enough non-perishable foods for your pets and any medications that they need. Plan to also add extra water to your kit for your pets. Keeping some of their favorite treats in the kit is also a great idea. This will help to calm them and make them feel comfortable.
*Paper plates, bowls, cups, and napkins and plastic utensils.
*Plan on including at least 2 gallons of water per person plus extra for cooking. You also should have a two week supply of water for each family member in your kit. Gees.... I better get some water.
*Extra clothing, raingear and sleeping bags or tents. Okay, why do I need raingear if there is going to be a hurricane? Aren't you supposed to stay indoors in a safe place? Who the hell is going camping in a hurricane, A TENT??
*Battery operated radios, flashlights, and plenty of extra batteries.
Preparing your house for the hurricane
In addition to preparing yourself and family for a hurricane, you will need to take some steps to prepare your house and yard for a hurricane. You should cover all of your windows with plywood rather than tape. The tape will not keep the glass from breaking and it is not the best choice for use in a hurricane. Plywood is a much better choice. During the year, you should make sure to keep an eye on your trees by removing any damaged or dead limbs. By doing this the dead or damaged limbs will not fly around during the storm. Bring indoors any lawn chairs, tables and umbrellas. Do not forget the kid's outdoor toys, lawn decorations, and the trash cans. All of these can be picked up by the wind and be blown around.
Make sure that you also fill your gas tank with gas and that you have taken some cash out of the bank before the storm hits. Once the storm is over the banks and gas stations might not have power for a week or so and if you are able to leave your house you will need to make sure you have enough gas and money to go to another location. Once the hurricane is over you should listen to the local radio stations for information. Preparation and planning is the key to any storm.
According to this article I am basically screwed. I have not done any of the above. Let me take another look so I can confirm that I am screwed. Okay, I just read the article again and all I can say is I hope my neighbors went shopping so I can stop by their homes and take what I need. Don't you think that is a good idea? Who wants to go to Publix and be around a bunch of crazy people fighting for the last can of SPAM? I know I don't.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home